Saturday, June 16, 2007

Hair Brush Pics (finally)

I finally got some pics taken of my work-in-progress with the hair brush armies. Along the bottom of the first shot is a spine of hair brush bristles. The bristles poke up through holes in a rubber retainer. The spine along the bottom holds them rigid.



To the left, there's a trimmed piece. The bristles have been shortened to about 6mm, and the piece has been cut to length, such that it will fit on a 40mm wide base. Three such "ranks" of figures will be glues to each base, one behind the other, so that I end up with thirty figures in three ranks, for each base of infantry.

To the right is another trimmed piece, from a different brand of hair brush. These bristles have a little notch around the base, to hold them in place in the rubber retainer better. This notch is just about perfectly placed where a uniform coat flares out over the pants. These brushes are harder to find and more expensive, however, so I'll be using the straight black variant for most of my armies.

At the top is a line of cavalry "figures." This is a single strip of brush bristles, trimmed to a shorter length, then sandwiched between three pieces of rectangular plastic stock.



Each piece of stock has been sanded to more closely approximate the profile of a horse. The back piece has had the rump sanded round. The front piece is unmodified, and the "head" piece has been rounded on three edges, to form the front of the head and the curve at the back of the head.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to visually separate each horse by shading the area between them with paint. It'll take some experimenting to get the right look.

I'll get a picture of my one painted test strip of infantry up in a bit.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

No comments: