Friday, June 3, 2011

Gallery: Robot Cluster 0010

This cluster brings together some of my favorite "walker" droids. Legged mobility is the theme for this group, and they rely on agility and firepower to make up for their smaller numbers.



A - The shield droid for the team. The body is from a Heavy Gear walker. The legs are individual fingers cut from the hand of a large MechWarrior mech - a Legionnaire I think. The missile pod came out of the bits box (which is to say, I've forgotten where it came from).

B - The chassis and rear "fan" tail are a single piece. I think they're the pelvis of a large MW mech. Two missile pods from a MW vehicle were mounted forward. The legs, again, are individual fingers from a MW mech claw hand.

C - One of the biggest of the droids, and one I'm quite proud of. The combination of head turn and mid-step pose give it tons of movement and energy. Which is much needed because the body and legs are so linear. The chassis is from a stripped-down MW ConstructionMech chassis. The legs are hydraulic bits from an early MW construction mech. The head...I don't remember. MW bit of some kind. The gun (which is hard to see here) is a Necron cannon of some kind from GW.

D - Another larger droid. The chassis and head detail pieces are from plastic models, the provenance of which is lost to me. The legs are more hydraulic pieces from MW early industrial mechs. The cannon is from an old plastic model...a 1/72 artillery barrel I think. You can see here how much less engaging this model is than C, above. Similar, linear, boxy pieces, but a very static pose. Makes it look kinda "meh," to me.

E - Itty bitty spider droid. I can't remember what the chassis is made from. Some very small piece of a mech, probably. The "nose" is a single vehicular grenade launcher barrel from a MW DI Schmidt tank. The guns are from another MW vehicle. Legs are much-trimmed fingers from a mech hand.

F - One more time for the "mech fingers as legs" strategy. I really like this approach to making walker droids, because using the fingers individually allows me to make neat choices about where to join them to the bot, the angle of each, etc. The chassis is another MW mech arm joint (ForestryMech, I think), with a small MW vehicle gun attached to the side.

Note: links out to Troll and Toad are used here only because they offer decent images of the MechWarrior figures. I have no relationship to that company, not have I bought from them. Not to say I wouldn't, but I haven't yet.

No comments: